You take care of your skin, washing and moisturizing regularly and treating when necessary. But, if you’re not showing your skin and makeup brushes or sponges the same kind of love, you could be setting yourself up for a bevy of bacteria and unwanted breakouts (ugh!). Here are our tips for keeping your brushes at peak performance.
- Once a week at minimum, twice is even better, round up your brushes and makeup blender sponges and apply water with a bit of gentle soap or baby shampoo.
- Gently massage each brush using your hand or a textured silicone mat so the excess makeup, dirt and buildup loosen from the bristles.
- Run the brush under cool water until the water runs clear. Repeat steps 2 and 3 if necessary.
- Squeeze the water from the brushes by using a clean towel, being sure to keep the brush shape in tact.
- Let the brushes dry flat or with the bristle facing down (not up) to ensure a maximum brush life.
- If you use a liquid foundation, you should get in the habit of cleaning them after each use to prevent bacteria or worse. And remember, if your brushes start to lose their shape or they smell funky—toss them!
Check out our face cleansing brushes and blending brush to keep your skin in tip-top shape.